July 5, 2011

Day #7 - Sequoia

So I'll be honest by this day I was sooooo incredibly sick of the car I think I could've screamed. My kids started showing the wear of hours and hours in the car. Ever been to Yellowstone?? You know how you drive for an hour and then get out of the car and watch Old Faithful and then you get back in the car and drive for another hour and then get out and look at a water fall? Well, that's exactly how this was. But the drives were slow and longer. Or at least the felt like it. Could've been that ALL of the roads we had driven on were not the freeway. To go over 50mph was like heaven. And the roads were sooooo beyond whindee (how would you spell that so it doesn't look like windy?) that it was ridiculous! Completely and utter ridiculous. So because of that (oh and apparently the kids were feeling the same) this day was a little shorter before we called it a day and headed to Anaheim. When we first got there there was road construction and they only let you through on the hour so we had some time to kill we took this cool short little hike over to a sweet bridge and tried to catch tadpoles before heading to the trees. These pictures are all out of order because they are half my mom's and half mine. But you get the point. The hike was very pretty and the bridge super cool.
Off to see some giant trees. Ohhh like General Sherman. The biggest in the world. But first a little lunch. We stopped at a cute little lunch area and the first thing we see is this sign:We pick a spot and start unloading and my dad was the last one by the coolers and he started to walk away I said "your supposed to guard your food at all times Dad" he replied "I'm close enough" to which Alan replied "there's a bear right there" oh yes our second bear sighting in as many days. And yes the bear was literally right there. I'm very glad the kids were still in the car and we had only unloaded a little bit. We threw everything back in the car and started to drive away. (ohhh what's even scarier, for me at least, I was headed to the bathrooms which is where the bear was coming from. He could've eaten me!) So anyways we actually followed the bear for a little while til he crossed the street and headed up the mountain and then we stopped to eat :) good times with the fam.

Our fun bear.
Needless to say we ate fast and on the edge of our seat!





Jake is clear down the path. Apparently running was funner than walking with us.
Big ol' trees

Isn't he cute? Notice the disappearance of Gracie? Ya she started throwing a major fit like she was 2 and not Jake so she got sent to the car with Daddy. All in all we survived the day though :)

No comments: